President Biden’s Immigration Plans
President Biden has stated that he intends to immediately send a bill to congress proposing many promising and bold immigration reforms.
President Biden’s plan includes:
- Temporary residence for DREAMERS (DACA holders) for five years followed by naturalization in three years.
- Temporary Protected Status (TPS) holders to receive permanent residence.
- Doing away with the three and 10 year bars of inadmissibility for people who have accrued unlawful presence in the U.S. This would open a path for undocumented and visa overstays to obtain permanent residence without the need to file hardship waivers.
- Reducing backlogs for family immigration categories typically backlogged for many years.
- Removing the one year filing deadline to apply for political asylum.
- Increasing asylum availability for victims of domestic violence.
- Removing travel bans based on religion or race.
- Reforms for business visas to speed the process and increase availability.
It is important to note that the immigration plan is just that a plan and nothing has been passed into law. The process to make the plan a reality could take many months of compromise and could look very different at the end of the day.
Please call us at Gladstein & Messinger, Queensimmigrationlaw.com, at 718-793-7800 if you have any questions about the new immigration laws.