Immigration Raids – Your Rights
Over this past weekend ICE (Immigration and Customs Enforcement) began ramping up immigration raids across the country. It is very important to understand that even undocumented immigrants have constitutional rights in the United States. What should you do if ICE comes to your home?
- Don’t open the door. Be calm. You have rights.
- Ask what they are there for (and ask for an interpreter if you need one).
- If they ask to enter, ask if they have a warrant signed by a judge. A warrant only signed by an ICE agent does not allow them to come into your home without permission. Ask to see the warrant through a window or slipped under the door.
- If they do NOT have a warrant signed by a judge, you may refuse to let them in. Ask them to leave any information at your door.
- Do not let them convince you to let them in if they do not have a warrant.
- If they force their way in, don’t resist. Tell everyone in the residence to remain silent.
- If you are arrested, remain silent and do not sign anything until you speak to a lawyer.
- Contact Gladstein and Messinger, Queens Immigration Law, immediately, day or night at (718) 793-7800.
If you are in need of assistance, contact the knowledgeable and dedicated Queens immigration attorneys at Gladstein & Messinger immediately for a consultation, at 718-793-7800.